Skip to main content

Sermon Recap: Why Christians Have Trials

Scripture: 1 Peter 1:6-9

I wish I could tell you that you will not have trials. Some people thought that when they became a Christian they were through with trials. They thought that faith in Christ would keep them from suffering. They thought the Gospel train was the gravy train.

Then reality arrived. In this world, we will have trouble. John 16:33 (NLT): “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

Christians are not immune from sickness. Christians can have financial problems. Christian parents can have trouble with their children. Christian workers can have bosses who are hard to please.

But we should remember these times are temporary when we consider eternity with our Creator. 2 Corinthians 4:17: “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.”

We must accept trials as part of the refining process that burns away impurities and prepares us to meet Christ. Trials teach us patience and help us grow to be the kind of people God wants.

In trials, our faith in Christ is being perfected. It is like gold being purified by fire. The return of Christ will reveal if our faith is real.

These various trials have two results. First, trials refine or purify one’s faith.

James 1:2-4: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

God allows us to face trials so that we can become mature Christians.

Secondly, trials prove the reality of one’s faith. Stress deepens and strengthens a Christian’s faith and lets its reality be displayed.

Because of our faith, we are shielded by God’s power. This does not mean we are shielded from trials. We may have to endure trials, persecution, or violent death, but our souls cannot be harmed if we have accepted Christ's gift of salvation. We know we will receive the promised rewards.

Our unseen Savior goes through our trials with us. He will never leave us nor forsake us. His grace is sufficient for every trial.

2 Corinthians 12:9 (TLB): “Each time he said, "No. But I am with you; that is all you need. My power shows up best in weak people." Now I am glad to boast about how weak I am; I am glad to be a living demonstration of Christ's power, instead of showing off my own power and abilities.”

You ought to be a living demonstration of Christ’s power!

Are you experiencing trials? God will meet you in your trials and enrich your faith. Thank God for trials that bring you closer to Him. This is why Christians have trials.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code, Spreading the Gospel to Japan, Skits & Pizza (Pastoral Emphasis from 7/26)

Thanks to all who came out to the Church Family Meeting. Our focus is reach the lost with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even though we don't have a formal dress code at church, I think we have an unspoken one. Our guest may perceive a dress code based on what they see on the stage from leadership. So in order to remove any barriers that might prevent some from visiting us or feeling comfortable in our service, the leadership will dress a little more casual. We will try this out until the end of the year and then evaluate. So don't be surprised when you see me not wearing a tie! I shared the following email that we got via our website to show that we are spreading the Gospel worldwide. To God be the glory! Greetings Mt. Zion Church Family...Today is July 27, 2009 and I would like to share the blessing that I have received from your church. I was talking to my very dear sister, soror, friend Sis Brandi Hancock and she and I were having a heart to heart. I told her that I was

One Life Saved

The Bible declares that all life is valuable. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:13-14). Here's the story of one life saved....

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Guests, Happy Veterans Day, T2 TEA (Pastoral Emphasis for 11/12)

Today, the brothers from two chapters of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity worshipped with us. They graciously blessed us with a donation.    Yesterday was Veterans Day. Happy Veterans Day to all who served our country.   Ladies, you are invited to the next Titus 2 TEA for a time of Teaching, Encouraging and Affirming.