Skip to main content

Spring Spruce Up, Ordination Service, "Come Out From Among Them"? (Pastoral Emphasis for 3/26)

If you have not done so yet, please pick up your financial contribution statement from the Welcome Center. They will be disposed of after April 15th.

Thanks for those who came out on Saturday for our Spring Spruce Up. Everyone was very cheerful, loving, and willing to work.  Here are some stats:
  • 26 total members: 12 members (including one new member) and 14 leadership 
  • All areas of the church were cleaned. 
  • Total hours: 50.05 for a savings of $1,250.00 ($25 per cleaning hour) 
  • Some great comments: “Where do you need me to work?” “I better get to cleaning because I want my windows to be "squeaky clean!” 
Join us again on Wednesday at 7 pm for our Bible Study series called the Journey. This Wednesday, we'll wrap up our volume 1 with a time of review and fellowship. You can purchase your volume 2 book for $4 from Deacon Johnson.

Sunday afternoon at 4 pm, I preached at New Dimensions Fellowship Church for their 13th church anniversary. I appreciated those who came out to support as well as those who prayed for me. I preached from Matthew 7:24-27 on the subject, "Obey Jesus or Suffer Loss”.


Next Sunday, 4/2, we're having an ordination service at 4 pm. We'll be ordaining Elder Rod Harrison, Ministers Matt Darby, Rasheeda Oliver, and Evangelist Barry Singleton. Come out and let's encourage our brothers and sister in their continuing work for the Lord.

Also, we will not have Communion next Sunday but will celebrate it on Easter Sunday.

After service last Sunday, someone asked me a great question in regards to my sermon, "Jesus is a Friend of Sinners" from Mark 2:13-17. The question was "how do you reconcile associating and being a friend of sinners with the command to 'come out from among them'"?

Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 6:16-18 (ESV):
What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.” 
When Paul mentioned that "God said this", he is referring to the OT where many times God told His people, Israel, to separate themselves from the other pagan nations. They were to eat, dress, and worship differently. This was to physically set them apart as God's people.

Now where the separation was physical in the OT, it's a spiritual separation in the NT. Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:9-10 (ESV):
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world
When Jesus prayed for His disciples, He said...
I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. (John 17:14-16)
So “come out from among them” means Christians are to separate themselves from the immorality of the unbelieving people around them. Isolating ourselves physically by living in a monastery like monks is not the answer. We are to associate and be friendly with sinners in order to share Jesus with them but not participate in their sin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code, Spreading the Gospel to Japan, Skits & Pizza (Pastoral Emphasis from 7/26)

Thanks to all who came out to the Church Family Meeting. Our focus is reach the lost with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even though we don't have a formal dress code at church, I think we have an unspoken one. Our guest may perceive a dress code based on what they see on the stage from leadership. So in order to remove any barriers that might prevent some from visiting us or feeling comfortable in our service, the leadership will dress a little more casual. We will try this out until the end of the year and then evaluate. So don't be surprised when you see me not wearing a tie! I shared the following email that we got via our website to show that we are spreading the Gospel worldwide. To God be the glory! Greetings Mt. Zion Church Family...Today is July 27, 2009 and I would like to share the blessing that I have received from your church. I was talking to my very dear sister, soror, friend Sis Brandi Hancock and she and I were having a heart to heart. I told her that I was

One Life Saved

The Bible declares that all life is valuable. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:13-14). Here's the story of one life saved....

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Guests, Happy Veterans Day, T2 TEA (Pastoral Emphasis for 11/12)

Today, the brothers from two chapters of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity worshipped with us. They graciously blessed us with a donation.    Yesterday was Veterans Day. Happy Veterans Day to all who served our country.   Ladies, you are invited to the next Titus 2 TEA for a time of Teaching, Encouraging and Affirming.