Skip to main content

Dr. Martin Luther King's 79th Birthday Celebration

I had the pleasure of attending and participating (with a prayer) in a celebration in Cary on 1/15 for Dr. King's 79th birthday. After a brief intro by one of the organizers, we ventured outside for a candlelight vigil. Now it was quite cold that evening, but I was prepared with my coat, gloves, and hat. Although I can't say the same for my two armor bearers (who were complaining about their "paper-thin" suits). Needless to say, I kept my prayer brief while we were outside.

After moving back inside, we listened to several songs by a chorus from Cary High School. I felt for them after seeing them outside in t-shirts. But they're young. They sang "Let My People Go", "This Little Light of Mine", and "We Shall Overcome".

Next, we heard from a couple of elders who talked about their experience with civil rights. One lady, who was Caucasian, described the time when her school was desegregated and she became friends with Dr. King's daughter, Yolanda. She described how mature and strong Yolanda was when she addressed their school after her father was assassinated. The next person to speak was born and raised in Cary. Her father was the first African-American to hold an elected position in Cary. She said she spent most of her life wanting to get out of Cary while many people today are trying to move to Cary. How times have changed. She described the difficulties that many blacks faced before the 60s Civil Rights movement. One of the most interesting things she said was how upsetting it is for her to hear young people say that they didn't owe anyone for their successes today. They are ignorant of the struggles and sacrifices that people like Dr. King made so that we have the right to vote, get an education, and work very successful jobs.

After hearing from the elders, we heard expressions from several high school students on what the legacy of King meant to them. Finally, we celebrated King's birthday with two cakes and sang happy birthday (both versions, of course). All in all, it was a good evening to remember the dream and legacy of Dr. King on his birthday. I look forward to next year's celebration.

What does King's legacy mean to you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code, Spreading the Gospel to Japan, Skits & Pizza (Pastoral Emphasis from 7/26)

Thanks to all who came out to the Church Family Meeting. Our focus is reach the lost with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even though we don't have a formal dress code at church, I think we have an unspoken one. Our guest may perceive a dress code based on what they see on the stage from leadership. So in order to remove any barriers that might prevent some from visiting us or feeling comfortable in our service, the leadership will dress a little more casual. We will try this out until the end of the year and then evaluate. So don't be surprised when you see me not wearing a tie! I shared the following email that we got via our website to show that we are spreading the Gospel worldwide. To God be the glory! Greetings Mt. Zion Church Family...Today is July 27, 2009 and I would like to share the blessing that I have received from your church. I was talking to my very dear sister, soror, friend Sis Brandi Hancock and she and I were having a heart to heart. I told her that I was

One Life Saved

The Bible declares that all life is valuable. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:13-14). Here's the story of one life saved....

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Guests, Happy Veterans Day, T2 TEA (Pastoral Emphasis for 11/12)

Today, the brothers from two chapters of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity worshipped with us. They graciously blessed us with a donation.    Yesterday was Veterans Day. Happy Veterans Day to all who served our country.   Ladies, you are invited to the next Titus 2 TEA for a time of Teaching, Encouraging and Affirming.