Skip to main content

Orlando Shooting, Happy Father's Day, Donations Needed During VBS (Pastoral Emphasis for 6/19)

It has happened again. Another mass shooting. In Orlando, a man shot and killed 49 people and injured at least 53 people in a nightclub. As Christians, our response should be to pray for the victim's families and those injured and look for ways to love and serve our neighbors. Sadly, because this was a "gay" nightclub, some "Christians" are showing hate instead of love. I even heard a report of one Baptist pastor who rejoiced over this tragedy, saying more of "them" should have been killed. But this is not even God's attitude.  God said in Ezekiel 33:11: "Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?"

How should we think about a disaster like this? Read Luke 13:1-5. People often try to find a connection between disaster and iniquity (deeming victims of a disaster as "worse sinners"). But Jesus responded by saying that such a calamity was not God’s way to single out an especially evil group for death, but as a means of warning for ALL sinners to repent. Final judgment is eventually coming to all if they did not repent.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads who are raising and caring for their children! Here's an encouraging word from Paul Tripp about fathering the fatherless within the community of believers (the church).

 
RSS or Email Subscribers click through to see the video


Today is the last day to register for VBS. VBS starts Wednesday, June 22nd through Sunday, 26th. The theme is "Egypt: Joseph's Journey from Prison to Palace". And as we have been seeing in Bible Study, Joseph is a type and shadow of Jesus Christ. On Saturday, we'll be serving at With Love From Jesus and the Helen Wright Center. We want to collect some items to bless the ladies at Helen Wright.


Here's what you can donate based on Zones...

Zone 1
Bars of Soap
Wash Cloths

Zone 2
Lotion
Deodorant

Zone 3
Toothpaste
Shower shoes

Zone 4
Shampoo
Petroleum Jelly

Please pray for my family & I as we'll be leaving for vacation tomorrow. I will see you all when we get back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code, Spreading the Gospel to Japan, Skits & Pizza (Pastoral Emphasis from 7/26)

Thanks to all who came out to the Church Family Meeting. Our focus is reach the lost with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even though we don't have a formal dress code at church, I think we have an unspoken one. Our guest may perceive a dress code based on what they see on the stage from leadership. So in order to remove any barriers that might prevent some from visiting us or feeling comfortable in our service, the leadership will dress a little more casual. We will try this out until the end of the year and then evaluate. So don't be surprised when you see me not wearing a tie! I shared the following email that we got via our website to show that we are spreading the Gospel worldwide. To God be the glory! Greetings Mt. Zion Church Family...Today is July 27, 2009 and I would like to share the blessing that I have received from your church. I was talking to my very dear sister, soror, friend Sis Brandi Hancock and she and I were having a heart to heart. I told her that I was

One Life Saved

The Bible declares that all life is valuable. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:13-14). Here's the story of one life saved....

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Guests, Happy Veterans Day, T2 TEA (Pastoral Emphasis for 11/12)

Today, the brothers from two chapters of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity worshipped with us. They graciously blessed us with a donation.    Yesterday was Veterans Day. Happy Veterans Day to all who served our country.   Ladies, you are invited to the next Titus 2 TEA for a time of Teaching, Encouraging and Affirming.