Skip to main content

Bigger Fish to Fry, Conducting a Workshop, Support for Pastor John (Pastoral Emphasis for 11/4)

Since the election is Tuesday, I thought I would share a portion of this blog post. I'll be sending the whole thing out to our mailinglist on Monday.
Jesus' mission is bigger than next Tuesday’s election. Way bigger.  The Great Commission summons to make disciples — both reaching out for more quantity and going deep for more quality — should relativize the stock Jesus' followers put in any political endeavor. Christians shouldn’t be dead-set on winning elections, but on making disciples. We put our best eggs in the disciplemaking basket, not the ballot box. We expect defeat in the short run, but triumph in the long haul. Lose the election, win the world.  The Christian's trust is not in politics. Our hope for the future isn’t in the incumbent or the challenger, but in the God-man who promises that he will build his church and that his gospel will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all the nations. And his final instructions before taking to the air didn’t include a word about political activism, but focused clearly and concisely on making disciples. Christian, we have bigger fish to fry. 

Today at 4pm, Bro. Gerald Vinson delivered his Initial Sermon. He preached on faith from Hebrews 11:1.  Thanks to all who came out to support Bro. Vinson.

I solicit your prayers as I will be conducting a workshop on evangelism and missions for a Missions Conference in Erwin, NC on Friday.  I am grateful for the opportunity so pray that I will serve them well.

Pastor John from Uganda was with us again and shared some of his testimony and a praise report of how God has protected his wife while he is here in the U.S.  The love offering for today will be going to Pastor John to support his ministry.  I will be sharing more details in the future on how we can help Pastor John going forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code, Spreading the Gospel to Japan, Skits & Pizza (Pastoral Emphasis from 7/26)

Thanks to all who came out to the Church Family Meeting. Our focus is reach the lost with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even though we don't have a formal dress code at church, I think we have an unspoken one. Our guest may perceive a dress code based on what they see on the stage from leadership. So in order to remove any barriers that might prevent some from visiting us or feeling comfortable in our service, the leadership will dress a little more casual. We will try this out until the end of the year and then evaluate. So don't be surprised when you see me not wearing a tie! I shared the following email that we got via our website to show that we are spreading the Gospel worldwide. To God be the glory! Greetings Mt. Zion Church Family...Today is July 27, 2009 and I would like to share the blessing that I have received from your church. I was talking to my very dear sister, soror, friend Sis Brandi Hancock and she and I were having a heart to heart. I told her that I was

One Life Saved

The Bible declares that all life is valuable. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:13-14). Here's the story of one life saved....

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Guests, Happy Veterans Day, T2 TEA (Pastoral Emphasis for 11/12)

Today, the brothers from two chapters of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity worshipped with us. They graciously blessed us with a donation.    Yesterday was Veterans Day. Happy Veterans Day to all who served our country.   Ladies, you are invited to the next Titus 2 TEA for a time of Teaching, Encouraging and Affirming.