Skip to main content

Church Family Meeting, My Thoughts on Halloween (Pastoral Emphasis for 10/30)

Radical Experiment 2011 Update

We have the opportunity to spread the Gospel to the young men at the C.A. Dillon Youth Development Center on Wednesday, 11/9. The Male Choir is going and we want to take as many men as we can. Ladies are welcome to come as well. You have to be 18 or older. If you are interested in going, we will have short meeting after church to discuss.

The Church Family Meeting is tomorrow at 7pm. All members are asked to be present.

Since tomorrow is Halloween, I'd like to share a few thoughts on it.  Because there are so many different opinions on this topic, we must think biblically. First, we must guard our hearts so that we are not judgmental.  We should not judge harshly other Christians who may differ from us. Colossians 2:16 says, "Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath." As believers, we have been freed from legalistic rules around eating certain foods or celebrating certain festivals.  The reality is that the way most people celebrate Halloween, it is just a secular holiday about dressing up and getting candy with no indication of its pagan origin.  Excluding any involvement in demonic activity, the celebration of Halloween can be a matter of personal conscience before God.  Personally, my family does not celebrate Halloween due to its often glorification of monsters, witchcraft, etc. My wife and I prefer to focus our children on more wholesome imagery.  They are free to play dress-up and get candy at any other time of the year.  But if you do celebrate Halloween, consider using it as mission field and opportunity to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code, Spreading the Gospel to Japan, Skits & Pizza (Pastoral Emphasis from 7/26)

Thanks to all who came out to the Church Family Meeting. Our focus is reach the lost with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even though we don't have a formal dress code at church, I think we have an unspoken one. Our guest may perceive a dress code based on what they see on the stage from leadership. So in order to remove any barriers that might prevent some from visiting us or feeling comfortable in our service, the leadership will dress a little more casual. We will try this out until the end of the year and then evaluate. So don't be surprised when you see me not wearing a tie! I shared the following email that we got via our website to show that we are spreading the Gospel worldwide. To God be the glory! Greetings Mt. Zion Church Family...Today is July 27, 2009 and I would like to share the blessing that I have received from your church. I was talking to my very dear sister, soror, friend Sis Brandi Hancock and she and I were having a heart to heart. I told her that I was

One Life Saved

The Bible declares that all life is valuable. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:13-14). Here's the story of one life saved....

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Guests, Happy Veterans Day, T2 TEA (Pastoral Emphasis for 11/12)

Today, the brothers from two chapters of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity worshipped with us. They graciously blessed us with a donation.    Yesterday was Veterans Day. Happy Veterans Day to all who served our country.   Ladies, you are invited to the next Titus 2 TEA for a time of Teaching, Encouraging and Affirming.